This week I got mad because an attorney communicated poorly. All he had to do was provide specific, clear instructions -- and he failed. Sure, its easy for someone "smart" to overlook something "simple", but in this case it was his job to not overlook anything. This frustration led to finding out that a large, pricey firm provided the same shoddy work to a regular client. I have heard, time and again, about the angst that lawyers have put their clients through.
Then there are the many doctors I saw for one problem, and only two did their job. It took something like three years of seeing different doctors and physical therapists to solve the problem. I could also mention my cable company, which took a year to provide television service to my home that's worthy of an industrialized nation. The list goes on.
In some areas and for some industries, the problem of worthy service is solved by an organization like Checkbook.org, or Angie's List -- resources for locals to find out other customers' reviews of services. But what do we do about professions that are not covered? And since when was it acceptable for some services out there to do so poorly that we even need to find a resource? I know what you're thinking -- its always been that way. That's where the warning about shady car mechanics and home contractors who don't finish their work comes from.
But there was a time when doctors and lawyers were expected to take the time to provide good, professional service -- and what happened to that? Are they really so busy that they can't painstakingly and carefully do their work? I think not, because I still have some doctors who will treat an ailment well -- whether its an aching limb or a migraine.
So what about the rest of all these paid professionals? Why are they short-changing service? I believe that as a nation of people that ultimately serve each other; we need this clarified. We also need to start serving each other and putting the sloppy or lazy professionals out of business. Not only will we be happier as a nation, but the odds are, we'll also be more industrious. Perhaps we'll do better in the world economy!
So ... in the interest of a happy and industrious nation; I hereby challenge every reader of this blog to not only provide good service; but also to inspire one additional person to do the same!
No comments:
Post a Comment